Sunday, May 9, 2010

Small but mighty

2 years ago Barry dug out enough lawn so that I could plant a small [more like tiny] garden. I just gotta have my home grown tomatoes.



I think by next year we will have tilled the area behind our fence. It's our easement area but shouldn't be an issue in using it. Most of it will get some real grass in place of the weedy stuff there now. The rest will be an expansion of garden space. It backs up to a wheat field and the current access road is used by those that need behind our properties.

Here are my tomatoes for 2010. I always plant Jet Star and Juliets. This year I'm also trying Mr. Stripey and Yellow Pear tomatoes. I tried a yellow version last year and like them. I don't recall the name but it wasn't what I picked this year. In between the cages I also have green, yellow and red bell peppers along with some jalapenos. I may have to squeeze another cage in the adjoining flower bed and pop in a cucumber. I can remember the gardens Mama would have when I was a kid. Back then it was hard dirty work that a kid didn't enjoy. But when winter arrived and we enjoyed the harvest that Mama had canned or put in the freezer, it was worth it.

I can't wait until I have the first tomato straight from the vine!

No comments:

Post a Comment